If you are having a hard time understanding a certain actor, trying to learn a foreign language or you have hearing problems, you can turn on subtitles and closed captions on Netflix regardless of the device you are using. Additionally, Netflix offers subtitles and closed captions in a variety of languages to make it easy for its diverse users to enjoy the streaming service. This article will help you understand how you can enable closed captions and subtitles on Xbox, Roku apps, Netflix mobile, and Netflix.com.
Turning on subtitles or closed captions on the Netflix mobile app
- Open the Netflix mobile app on your device and launch the video you wish to watch.
- To have touchscreen options around the outer edge of the screen, touch anywhere on the video. You will see an icon (that looks like a bubble) in the upper right corner of the screen. When you tap the icon, a screen will appear displaying audio and subtitle options.
- On the right side of the screen, tap the language you prefer the subtitles or closed captions to be displayed in. It is important to note that the closed caption option will have CC on the right. When you make a selection, it will appear in bold letters with a checkmark to the right. After you’ve made the selection, just tap the ‘X’ in the upper right corner of the screen to return to the video you were watching. You will notice that the selected closed captions or subtitles will appear on the lower part of the screen in the language you selected.
Turning on subtitles or closed captions on the Netflix app for Xbox
- To get started, open the Netflix mobile app and launch the video you want to watch. When the video starts playing, you will see an information screen on the left side of the screen. However, if you are already watching a video and you wish to turn on closed captions or subtitles, just press ‘B’ on the Xbox remote control to get the information screen.
- Now that you have accessed the information screen, press the ‘Audio and Subtitles’ option. You will see several options on the left side of the screen.
- To select the closed caption or subtitle you want to apply, use the analog stick and then press ‘A’ after you’ve highlighted your selection. After pressing ‘A’ a checkmark will be displayed to the left of that option. Press ‘B’ to return to the video you were watching and then press ‘Play’ or ‘Resume’ to continue watching. The closed captions or subtitles will appear at the bottom of your screen.
Turning on closed captions or subtitles on the Netflix app for Roku
- Launch the Netflix app on your Roku device and then select the movie or video you want to watch to access the information screen. If you already started watching the video and you wish to turn closed captions/subtitles on, press the ‘Backspace’ button and you will return to the information screen.
- In the options list, select ‘Audio and Subtitles’. You will end up having two screens, one on the left and the other on the right. The screen on the right will display available audio options while the one on the right will display closed caption and subtitle options.
- Use the selector to highlight the closed caption or the subtitle you wish to turn on and then use your Roku remote control to click ‘OK’. You will see a checkmark to the left of the subtitle or closed caption you’ve selected. Press the ‘Backspace’ button to return to your information screen. Then press ‘Resume’ or ‘Play’ to continue watching the video. The selected close captions or subtitles will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Turning on subtitles or closed captions on Netflix.com
- Open your browser and then navigate to Netflix.com. If prompted, log in and then launch the video you wish to watch. Click anywhere on the video and a row of icons should appear at the bottom of the screen.
- In the lower-left corner of the screen, you will see an icon that looks like a speech bubble (with dots inside). Click the icon and a window with two options (Audible and Subtitle sections) will appear above the icon.
- In the Subtitle section, click on the language you wish to have on your closed captions or subtitles. After you’ve made the selection, the menu will disappear and you will see the subtitles or closed captions being displayed at the bottom of the screen in the language you selected.