If you mistakenly ordered an item on Amazon or you have found a better deal on the same product, you can cancel the order before the item is shipped. If you already paid for the item using your credit card, you will get a refund of your money in 3 to 4 days after you’ve canceled the order. However, if you are not successful in canceling the order, you will have limited options because the item will be delivered anyway. If you don’t like the item, you can either deny or return it.
Cancelling Amazon orders via the mobile app
- Launch the Amazon app and log in to your account. You will arrive at your account’s home screen. In the upper left corner of your device’s screen, tap the ‘Menu’ icon (looks like three horizontal lines). A menu will pop from the left side of the screen.
- In the menu, tap ‘Orders’ and an order screen will appear. From your orders, choose the item you want to cancel and you will get to a different screen showing delivery information about that particular item.
- Scroll down the Information screen until you get to the ‘Order Info’ section. In this section, tap ‘Cancel Order’. A ‘Request Cancellation’ screen will appear with a message at the top informing you that the cancellation cannot be guaranteed. Don’t panic!
- To the left of the item you want to cancel, you will see a box. Tap it to place a checkmark and then tap the ‘Cancellation Reason’ field that will appear below the item you want to cancel.
- You will see a list of cancellation reasons displayed. Choose the most appropriate reason for why you wish to cancel your order. Afterwards you will automatically return to the ‘Request Cancellation’ screen. The reason for cancellation will be displayed beneath the item you want to cancel. Now proceed to the final cancellation step.
- Beneath the cancellation reason, tap the ‘Request Cancellation’ button (orange). You will be redirected to a different screen with a message informing you that your cancellation was requested. Also, you will see details associated with the item you have cancelled. The details include order date, total dollar amount associated with the item, order number, and payment information.
If you open your email address, you will receive an email from Amazon. The email may either inform you that the order was successfully cancelled or Amazon couldn’t cancel your order. If you received the latter email, you can either return the item upon delivery or refuse delivery altogether.