It is important to keep your firmware up to date to protect your devices against malware. Fitbit has regular updates to improve performance and address bugs or security issues. However, since Fitbit will not notify you about the updates, you are supposed to check, download and install the updates on your paired smart device. The entire process of updating Fitbit takes about 10 minutes. Follow these steps to update your Fitbit firmware:
Steps to take to keep your Fitbit up to date!
- You need to start by installing the free Fitbit app on your Apple or Android device.
- For easy connection, place the Fitbit device within three feet of your Apple or Android smart device.
- Launch the Fitbit app on your device. If you haven’t logged in for a long time log in to your account. If you’ve forgotten your password, you just need to retrieve it using the details you provided e.g. the email address. After logging in, you will land on the app’s home screen where you will see a progress bar at the top of the screen showing you how far the device has synchronised with the app.
- After the sync is completed, a message will pop up at the top of the screen informing you that an update is available. You need to tap the name of your device (at the top of the screen).
You will see a red bar below the name and the image of your device that reads ‘Update Tracker’. Tap the red bar and a message will appear informing you to keep your Fitbit near your smart device for the next 5 to 10 minutes while the update is taking place.
- Tap the red ‘Next’ button and you will see the status of the update installation. As the installation continues, you will be returned automatically to the Information screen where you can track the updating process by following the progress bar.
- After 5-10 minutes, a dialog box will appear in the Fitbit app informing you that the update is complete. Tap the ‘OK’ button and you will have successfully updated your Fitbit Firmware.