There have been many cases of Facebook being hacked over the years and for this reason, you should consider changing your Facebook password every three months. When your Facebook account is hacked, the hacker can access data including private pictures, potential financial information, contact details, personal messages, personal information, information about your friends and family members, access to websites or other accounts that you use Facebook to log into, etc. Therefore, if you suspect your Facebook account is hacked or someone is trying to access your account without your permission, it is advisable to change your password.
Change the Password on the Facebook mobile App
- Launch the Facebook mobile app and you will land on your home screen.
- On the lower right of the screen, tap the ‘Menu’ icon that looks like three horizontal lines.
- After opening the menu screen, scroll down to the settings section and tap ‘Settings’.
- In the menu that pops up from the bottom of the screen, tap ‘Account Settings’ and another menu will appear.
- Towards the top of the screen, tap ‘Security and Login’ (looks like a police badge).
- Scroll down and you will find the Login section. Click ‘Change Password’ and you will have an option to make the changes.
- You need to enter your current password and then enter a new password. Re-enter the new password and then tap the blue ‘Save Changes’ button. You will see a screen that asks you if you want to log out of other devices or stay logged in. You can choose either of the options. Bottom line, you have successfully changed your Facebook password.
Change the Password via a desktop web browser
- Navigate to Facebook.com and then log in to land on your Facebook home screen.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, click the down-pointing arrow in the menu row.
- You need to click ‘Settings’ for the general account settings to appear.
- In the menu, click ‘Security and Login’ to change your account’s password.
- To the right of ‘Change Password’, click ‘Edit’ and the section will expand for you to make the changes.
- You will have to start by entering your current password and then enter the new password. Re-type the new password again and click ‘Save Changes’ (blue button). You will see a dialog box confirming that you have changed your password. You will be asked to review other devices that are associated with your Facebook account or Stay logged in. If you wish to see other devices associated with your account, you can choose to review them. However, if you wish to continue using Facebook, just click ‘Stay Logged In’.