Nowadays, kids love playing video games rather than playing outside! It is a good way to pass time, help the kid think creatively and reduce boredom. But sometimes you want to limit the time your kids spent in front of a screen. Maybe to encourage physical sport or other healthier hobbies. With Xbox Live you have can limit the number of times and the amount of time your kid can play.
With your Microsoft family account you can set time limits on your child’s Xbox One profile. The first step is to set up an account for your child that links to your Xbox Live account. The process of setting up and modifying the time limits can be done through a web browser. To set the time limits, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser, navigate to account.microsoft.com and click the ‘Sign In’ button. Enter your username and password in the respective fields and click ‘Sign In’. You will land on the home screen of your Microsoft account.
- Along the top of the screen, you will see a row of options. Click ‘Family’ to open the family screen to see the members whose accounts link to your Xbox Live account.
- Look for the account that your child uses to play Xbox One games with. To limit playing time, click the blue ‘Screen Time’ option in the row of options that appear below the account’s name.
- You will see several options for restricting the screen time on any of the devices that associate with that account. While on ‘Screen Time’, click the toggle to the right to change the option to ‘ON’. A screen time schedule will expand showing the number of hours in a day your child can play Xbox One games. Additionally, you will see the time range in which your child can use the number of play hours you have allocated him/her.
- To the right of any day that you wish to restrict the playtime for, click the default ‘Max Scheduled’. You will see a drop-down menu where you need to choose ‘Blocked’ if you don’t want your child to play any Xbox One games that day. Alternatively, you can set the amount of time your child can play. After making the selection, the drop-down will automatically close showing the amount of time (in hours in the ‘Allowed’ column) your child can play for that specific day.
- To modify the time range in which your child can play Xbox One games, click the ‘block time’ row (far right of each specific day). You will see a dialog box with ‘From’ and ‘To’ fields. Use the two fields to determine the time your child can start playing Xbox One games and then click ‘Add’. As you add your options, you will see them in the lower part of each dialog box. If you need to do away with certain options, you can click the ‘Remove’ button and you will get rid of the options you don’t need.
- If you are done making the changes, click the ‘Save’ button and you will land on the previous screen where all the changes will appear.
- To set game time limits and modify playing time each day, repeat the process for the remaining days. It is important to note that the changes are saved as you make them on the site. Therefore, after you are done with modifications, you will have already made the changes you want. If the choices are not satisfactory or you would like to make more changes, you simply return to this screen.
Hooray, you have just made changes to your child’s Xbox One account that’s associated with your Xbox Live account! It is possible to make additional changes depending on how your child uses his or her Xbox One or the agreement you have. For now, you have limited the amount of time and the period your child can play Xbox One games.